Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Worst Chinese New Year ever!!!

Short talk:
Yeah...with my new 500GB hard disk, I'm back in business!! My computer is now nonsense compatible and able to upload crap to the internet. You know, it's kinda funny that, exactly 2 years ago in the the same month, my Malaysian senior's computer broke down....and he went missing a week after. Most of you should know about this as the embassy sent out alerts for the missing guy. With the same thing happening to me now, I might go missing as well!! Watch out for alerts by the embassy for me....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for today's entry, I would like to talk about the CNY "celebration" I had 2 weeks ago. It's a bit long but it's the funniest thing that have ever happened to me. Be patient and read a bit...

You see, for the past 2 years, I've been having exams during CNY and have not been able to fully express my festive mood. But this year....this year, my exams finished a day before CNY and I've had high hopes for a joyful event to make up for the two CNY that I missed.

I was lucky enough to meet with one of the Malaysian Chinese who have been working in Japan for 7 years. I shall call him L. L promised to take me out to a place where I can "feel the Chinese New Year atmosphere". So I was thinking "GREAT!!!" and invited fellow Lee Boon Hon, Koey loke Eng, and my junior Shuk Yee to join me. Since it was Chinese New Year event I was going to attend, I wore my red traditional Chinese suit...

Photobucket
Gong Xi Fa Cai....have no and pau but girls can take me as their "red packet"


In case you are wondering why I wore this ridiculously red suit out to the streets in Tokyo.....it's Chinese New Year!! Gotta wear red on the day....Anyway, we met up with L on a cheerful Sunday looking forward to a nice celebration together. L led us from the station through a maze of streets and buildings...not once did he mention where he was taking us to.
Suspense....suspense...

After walking for about 5 minutes, we ended up in front of a building with a lot of Korean speaking people....and I got suspicious as "What the hell? Why am I amongst Koreans on Chinese New Year??" I asked L but he simply told us that we would know once we're inside. Still suspicious, I followed him inside the building nonetheless.

After a brief ride in the elevator, we finally reached the designated destination. The door opened and I found myself staring at a lady standing on a stage holding a book, and there were a bunch of people sitting on long benches looking at that lady.......SHIT! I'M IN A CHURCH!!!! The lady is a pastor and the book she's holding is a bible...and the bunch of people sitting on long benches now looking at ME instead. Can you imagine me in that red chinese suit in a church on a Sunday?? Suddenly, that Sunday isn't a cheerful Sunday anymore....

Damn it...I got tricked into a church!!

Sigh....don't get me wrong though, I may be an agnostic but I don't have problem going to churches. But I DO have problem if you trick me into going to a church. I mean...what the hell is L trying to do? Using trickery to convert me into Christianity while I'm wearing a traditional Chinese suit?? What in the name of Jesus Christ was he thinking?!!!!

As much as I wanted to leave the church, it's something my conscience won't allow me....so I sat through the whole sermon. HOWEVER.....as irritated and upset as I am, Lee Boon Hon manage to make my day and made me laugh out loud.

We were all hungry at that time....and we were promised lunch after the sermon, so we held it out. But little did we know, we had to attend "Introduction of the Church" directly after the sermon at the cafeteria for newcomers. Tricked the second time.....And L was wicked enough to put food on the table when the lady pastor was giving introduction about the church.....talk about the devil's temptation to lure us away from Christianity. This time, Adam is Lee Boon Hon and the Forbidden Apple is a pack of sushi.

During the talk, Lee Boon Hon kept looking at my way....his eyes desperately pleading for me to join him eat as he is hungry but, incredibly, is shy about eating alone while the lady pastor is still giving a talk. But after a while....just like what happened to Adam, Lee Boon Hon chimed in, "Excuse me but I'm hungry and I have to eat" and reached for the pack of sushi!!

Lee Boon Hon opened the pack so fast that the lady pastor couldn't say anything to it as the pack was already being open.....hahahahahhahaha....

About a few minutes after Lee Boon Hon finished the pack of sushi, the lady pastor finish her talk, "Okay, NOW we have finished the introduction of the church...let's eat. BUT before we eat....let's say a prayer to thank the lord for the food." At once I look at Lee Boon Hon who have already eaten....once again..hahahahahaha........

And that's not it....later, we joined a group of people who made some Korean food. A bowl of rice with some kind of soup. It was quite a big bowl, and Lee Boon Hon having eaten quite a bit, "Sorry, but this bowl of rice is a little too much for me. I can't finish this." Guess who was beside him at that time.....the lady pastor!!! "Oh....so NOW you've had enough." Hahahahaha....sounds exactly like what God would say.

It was definitely the worst Chinese New year I've ever had...being tricked into a church while dressing wrongly, but then again, I would not have this tale to tell if I hadn't been tricked!!

Way to go Lee Boon Hon!! Man...I'm so looking forward to going out with you again!!

13 comments:

cl3m` said...

lol, totally uncalled for. though i'm a christian, i would have supported you if you just walked out. it's just plain insensitive.

Anonymous said...

let me guess. that L is from penang. lol. if he is the same person, the first time i met him 4 years ago, i've been avoiding him and all his invitations. although he meant well. hehe

Crabbed!! said...

>cl3m`
Yeah...but at that time, there was ummm...a beautiful girl from Beijing sitting nearby..so...yeah....I didn't leave.

Haha....but seriously, lucky I didn't leave! If I had left, I wouldn't have this story to tease Boon with...

Crabbed!! said...

>ben foo
Yes! L is from Penang!! He must be the same overzealous dude who tricked you too...

calvin said...

i have nothing against christianity or any other religion, but being done like that will certainly is the last thing i would like to experience. anyway, at least it would provide me some caution when i'm in tokyo next time :)

Crabbed!! said...

>calvin
I doubt you'll be unlucky enough to meet that penang folk, L. Just...ask for the exact location where the person is taking you to.
If it's a girl, don't ask...just close your eyes and follow blindly.

Crabbed!! said...

>Kelly
Yeah...it's a blessing knowing Boon.

stevelee67 said...

wah..if im the Adam, why Eve didnt turn up that day..she was the only one who might cheer up my day :(

btw, wah put my fullname meh...so rajin !! put carlos or boon also can :p

Crabbed!! said...

Eve WAS there....you were too hungry to notice her sitting beside you!!

Ehem...Eve was that girl whom you told not to eat too much..*wink *wink

BTW, I put full name because...well, if anybody google your name, my blog would come up in their searches and they can also share the fun! but if you prefer Carlos....Carlos it is.

sychin said...

What i can is .......... I feel lucky that i din follow A Boon go out instead of just sitting in front of my com. Btw, no offend =)
Gong Xi Fa Chai!!!

mayc said...

LOL!!
i met a chinese from china in the train sometime ago who approached joyce and i after hearing us talking in chinese rojak. whr got ppl approach others liddat rite, i suspected she has sth up her sleeves and i was right. she went preaching about her church. blah

Crabbed!! said...

>sychin
Yeah...you had exams coming right? Better to study for exams than this...

Crabbed!! said...

>mayc
Wow....a chinese too. Are you sure she was talking about her church? I can never understand chinese from china speaking chinese....maybe she was just asking for directions to a church? And was asking if you can lead her ther.....oh, sorry....maybe she was talking about her church.